Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Rh incompatibility

Today I had to go in for my 28 week RhoGAM shot. I found out when I was pregnant with Austin that I have a negative blood type, which can be a potentially dangerous thing when pregnant and during delivery. Here is a little information taken from Pregnancy.org that gives a more in depth explanation of why I need the RhoGAM shot.

"In cases of Rh incompatibility, a baby's red blood cells have a substance called the Rh D factor, and the mother's blood cells do not. In medical terms, the baby is Rh positive and you are Rh negative. If some of the baby's red blood cells leak into your system, your body may produce antibodies to the Rh D factor (a condition called sensitization). These antibodies can cross the placenta and destroy the red blood cells in your unborn baby or in the next Rh-positive baby you have.

Rh-immune globulin (RhoGAM shot) can prevent sensitization. It is given to an Rh-negative woman shortly after every delivery, miscarriage, or abortion. It is also given to a pregnant Rh-negative woman after amniocentesis, any bleeding episodes, and during the seventh month of pregnancy."





No comments:

Post a Comment