I called my OB on Friday afternoon, b/c I was concerned that I had had this pain for a week and it wasnt going away. I left a message around 12:30 and by 12:45 they called me back and told me that I need to come in for an appointment at 1:50. I am so glad they got me in that fast. When I got to my appointment they did a pelvic exam to make sure everything down there was normal, I gave a urine sample and they drew blood. The Dr. was feeling my stomach and pressing on my sides and she was convinced that I had kidney stones. So she sent me home and told me to stay in bed for the rest of the day/night and that if the pain increases over the weekend to call the on-call Dr.
Saturday morning I woke up around 7:30 and told Michael that I had been up every hour with the pain. He told me to call the OB on-call and see what he wanted to do. I told the Dr that the pain was getting increasingly worse and I could no longer handle it. He told me to go straight to the Labor and Delivery at the hospital and he would meet me there. We arrived at the hospital around 12:30 and everyone was awaiting my arrival. They already had all my paperwork and the nurses had a room waiting. I couldn't believe how nice it was not have to sit there and wait for a room or to fill out paperwork.
So this "nice" nurse takes me back to the triage room to get everything started. She handed me a gown and told me to pee in a cup in the bathroom. I change and went out to the room and told her there were no cups in there. She got a little pissy and huffed away to find one from another room. She returned and I peed in the cup, put it on the table and she then barked out, "Get in the bed I dont have time to wait, we have other patients that need to be seen!!!" I looked at Michael in total fear at this point, and when she left to find the ultrasound tech I told Michael that she is the scariest nurse I have ever met!!!t
The ultrasound tech came in and proceeded with the ultrasound. She first looked at the baby and the fluids to make sure everything was fine. Which was a big relief for us!!! The tech kept commenting on how active the baby was and how he wouldn't sit still. Trust me lady, I know this kid kicks all day and night. After looking at the baby she turned her attention to my side and back. She started out looking at my gallbladder then moved to my kidneys and then back to my gallbladder. She told us what organs she was looking at but never if she saw anything bad.. The ultrasound took about 20 or 30 minutes, but it felt like so much longer because the pain was excruciating!!! We waited and waited and finally the nurse came back in to the room to draw some blood.
My Dr. returned about 3:30pm and told me that all the results were back in and that I had a bacterial kidney infection and gall stones. He told me that he wasn't to concerned about the gall stones but we needed to start immediate medication for the kidney infection. He did tell me because of my history of chronic UTI's I will need to see a uriologist after the baby is born. He told me that the nurse would come back in and start an IV. He wanted to run a 1 liter bag of fluids with the medication. The nurse returned at 4:00pm with the biggest damn needle I have ever seen to start my IV!!! OUCH that thing hurt...
The IV took about 2 hours to complete and when it was over around 6:00pm we were so happy because we thought that we would be able to go home after this. The nurse came in and asked how I was feeling I told her I was doing okay. She than told us that the Dr. wanted to do a second round of IV medication and fluids 6 hours after the first dose. Which meant we needed to wait until 10:00pm to start!!! WTF you have got to be kidding me. The nurse told me that since we would be there for a while longer she was going to move us to a better room. Yep we were still in the triage room!
We packed up our belongings and headed over to our new room (a labor & delivery) room. We got settled in and started hearing this lady grunting, groaning and screaming. You guessed it, she was in labor and having her baby. Michael looked HORRIFIED!!! The look on his face was priceless!!! I was starving by this point, I hadn't eaten since 9:30am, our new lovely nurse brought us a menu but the kitchen was already closed. So Michael called his brother and he was nice enough to bring us up Chick-fil-A. I laid in bed, Michael laid on the couch while we watched Myth Busters for a while, while we waited for 10 o'clock to roll around.
Finally around 10:15pm another new nurse came in and started a new IV bag and hooked up the medication. Luckily I didn't need to let the whole bag run dry before we could leave. Around 11:15pm the nurse came back in and said that we were ready to go. She took out the IV, bandaged me up, and gave me my prescription and discharge instructions. Finally about midnight, 12 hours after our adventure started we were home and ready for bed.
The last few days, I have not been much better. I am still in a ton of pain and not sleeping at all at night. My stomach is really starting to bother me and I am having indigestion pains in my chest. I am not sure if these new symptoms are from the gall stones or just normal pregnancy pains. I do know for a fact that the side and back pain in not normal at all. Later on today I am going to call my OB's office to see if I should go see a gastroenterologist for the gall stones, because I would have thought that after all the antibiotics the pain would have subsided by now. Thanks again for all the thoughts and prayers, I really do appreciate it. I will keep you guys updated on what the Dr's office says.
The ultrasound tech came in and proceeded with the ultrasound. She first looked at the baby and the fluids to make sure everything was fine. Which was a big relief for us!!! The tech kept commenting on how active the baby was and how he wouldn't sit still. Trust me lady, I know this kid kicks all day and night. After looking at the baby she turned her attention to my side and back. She started out looking at my gallbladder then moved to my kidneys and then back to my gallbladder. She told us what organs she was looking at but never if she saw anything bad.. The ultrasound took about 20 or 30 minutes, but it felt like so much longer because the pain was excruciating!!! We waited and waited and finally the nurse came back in to the room to draw some blood.
My Dr. returned about 3:30pm and told me that all the results were back in and that I had a bacterial kidney infection and gall stones. He told me that he wasn't to concerned about the gall stones but we needed to start immediate medication for the kidney infection. He did tell me because of my history of chronic UTI's I will need to see a uriologist after the baby is born. He told me that the nurse would come back in and start an IV. He wanted to run a 1 liter bag of fluids with the medication. The nurse returned at 4:00pm with the biggest damn needle I have ever seen to start my IV!!! OUCH that thing hurt...
The IV took about 2 hours to complete and when it was over around 6:00pm we were so happy because we thought that we would be able to go home after this. The nurse came in and asked how I was feeling I told her I was doing okay. She than told us that the Dr. wanted to do a second round of IV medication and fluids 6 hours after the first dose. Which meant we needed to wait until 10:00pm to start!!! WTF you have got to be kidding me. The nurse told me that since we would be there for a while longer she was going to move us to a better room. Yep we were still in the triage room!
We packed up our belongings and headed over to our new room (a labor & delivery) room. We got settled in and started hearing this lady grunting, groaning and screaming. You guessed it, she was in labor and having her baby. Michael looked HORRIFIED!!! The look on his face was priceless!!! I was starving by this point, I hadn't eaten since 9:30am, our new lovely nurse brought us a menu but the kitchen was already closed. So Michael called his brother and he was nice enough to bring us up Chick-fil-A. I laid in bed, Michael laid on the couch while we watched Myth Busters for a while, while we waited for 10 o'clock to roll around.
Finally around 10:15pm another new nurse came in and started a new IV bag and hooked up the medication. Luckily I didn't need to let the whole bag run dry before we could leave. Around 11:15pm the nurse came back in and said that we were ready to go. She took out the IV, bandaged me up, and gave me my prescription and discharge instructions. Finally about midnight, 12 hours after our adventure started we were home and ready for bed.
The last few days, I have not been much better. I am still in a ton of pain and not sleeping at all at night. My stomach is really starting to bother me and I am having indigestion pains in my chest. I am not sure if these new symptoms are from the gall stones or just normal pregnancy pains. I do know for a fact that the side and back pain in not normal at all. Later on today I am going to call my OB's office to see if I should go see a gastroenterologist for the gall stones, because I would have thought that after all the antibiotics the pain would have subsided by now. Thanks again for all the thoughts and prayers, I really do appreciate it. I will keep you guys updated on what the Dr's office says.
Oh my gosh you poor girl. I'm so very sorry you are going through all of this. I hope they can find out the source of your problems. No one should be going through all of this during pregnancy. ((BIG HUGS))
ReplyDeleteDude, what a bitchy nurse!