Friday, November 2, 2012

Dental Work Equals a Toothless Smile

A week ago today (Oct. 26th) Austin had to have quite a bit of dental work done. So much in fact that he needed to have all the work done at the local hospital so he could put under general anesthesia. We had to report to the hospital at 7:50 am, and the dentist told us it should take about an hour maybe a hour and a half if there was more that needed to be done. Well it took her close to 2 1/2 hours to do everything. He ended up having to have his front two teeth extracted, one of his side teeth capped, a molar in the back capped, and numerous cavities. Michael and I felt terrible for Austin, when he woke up from the anesthesia you could tell that he was in pain. We spent the rest of the day watching movies, being lazy on the couch, and eating soup.

That night we tried to explain to him that the tooth fairy would be making him a visit while he was sleeping and bring his a special treat. I could tell he was a little nervous about the whole Tooth Fairy concept, so I tried to explain in a way he would understand and enjoy more. I told him that after he fell asleep the Tooth Fairy would bring him some money so he could go buy a new car to play with. Sure enough that did the trick!!

It has not been easy, he has had good days and bad days. The other night as I was tucking him in bed he told me, "Mommy can the Tooth Fairy bring back my teeth, I want them back." Poor thing, he is just too young to understand that he has to wait quite a while until his new ones come in.


At least he knows how to rock the toothless smile



No comments:

Post a Comment